Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Power of the Printer

You might have read the title and thought I was referring to your standard desktop printer, a scene from Office Space maybe, but no. In my world, the printer is an enormous room downstairs where 24/7 these enormous machines eat half the Amazon daily. You see in banking, we print a lot of things. In fact, we even print extra copies of everything just to make sure we've got enough. I'm talking 500 page documents here people. Anyway, the room of presses which I have decided to collectively call "the printer," and those who run them, have a lot of power.

Take this past week for instance, one-hundred hours in the office. Had the printers not been overbooked and had gotten things right the first time, it'd have been 90. However, any worse than they were and it'd have been 120. At first, I decided to go the nice guy route, go down and check-in, say please and thank you, it got me nowhere. I got my document late and messed up (table of contents exist for a reason). Anyway, the nice guy approach doesn't work, dog eat dog, if you want things done around here you better let people know what exactly you want and when you want it. If they don't deliver, go down there and start tapping you're foot until served. I sugggest bringing work because it may take awhile, but if these people get there shit together, you may actually make it to bed, so focus up.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

you spent 100 hours in the office this week? you're amazing. end of story. i don't know many people that can tolerate even half of that(:

Katie B. said...

Petey Pablo-- I've been waiting to read a post from you in response to all the insanity that has been going on in the financial world.

I'm assuming that you're working non-stop so I can't really blame you, but when you can finally breathe, holler at us because I want to hear from you!!